There are several different types of yoga that you can explore to find the one that best suits your needs and level of comfort. Since each type of yoga will vary or have some differences, it may be wise to consider each type available in your area and research each one for the amount of exertion you may experience during the practice. You should also consider the benefits of each type carefully as some possess more relaxation benefits while others offer purifying or weight-loss perks. Once you have found the practice that best suits your needs, it is recommended that you stick to it but feel free to continue exploring and expanding your horizons.
Types of Yoga
Each type of yoga has its benefits and will help you to live a healthier lifestyle no matter which one you choose to take on for your practice. The 8 most popular types include:
- Anusara – teaches how to open the heart, learn grace, and share the goodness within.
- Ashtanga – derived from an ancient form that is rigorous, possesses fluid poses, and takes place in a hot room. Here is a beautiful example of Ashtanga yoga.
- Bikram – consists of 26 poses that are done in a specific order within a heated and humid room to increase sweat production.
- Hatha – gentle introduction to yoga using basic poses.
- Hot Yoga – similar to Bikram without the specific postures.
- Iyengar – meticulous style that uses props to help perfect poses for alignment offering a physical and mental challenge to the student.
- Restorative – focuses on more relaxing poses and provides a soothing as well as restful experience.
- Vinyasa – fluid movement throughout the class while teaching the perfection of each pose.
These types of yoga vary greatly from one another and each possess their own benefits as well as specific poses that are practiced in the class. Some of them even change the poses from class to class or based on the teacher that you are working with.
Discovering what yoga type is best for you is best found through exploration and experiencing each type personally. Since everyone is different it can easily be noticed that what your friends enjoy may not be as wonderful of an experience for you. The choice in yoga type should really be left up to you and your personal preference to ensure that your practice will help you to achieve the results that you are looking to find within a class. Besides, exploring is half of the fun when learning about yoga.